SSU Social Justice Week is proud to announce our confirmed speakers. Stay tuned as we announce more speakers. Click here for our socials https://ssusocialjusticeweek.wordpress.com/.
- Dr. Angelo Brown, Assistant Professor of Criminology, Arizona State University, SSU Alumnus
- Dr. Erica Tom, Director of Native American, Lecturer, American Multicultural Studies Department, and the Hutchins School of Liberal Studies, SSU
- Dr. Sharon Fuller, Lecturer, SSU Geography, Environment & Planning
- Dr. Jerlena Griffin-Desta, Chief of Staff / Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Diversity
- Christy Giambastiani, Senior Disability Management Advisor, SSU Disability Services for Students
- The HUB , SSU Cultural Center,
- SSU Alianza for Equity
- Affinity Faculty Staff Association (AFSA)
- Queer Faculty Staff Association (QFASA)
- Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- SSU Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination
In November join speakers at our Social Justice Week Class Recruitment Sessions.
Save the Dates!
- Social Justice Organizing class Information Session 1: Nov 4 12:30-1:30 Register for Zoom Here
- Social Justice Organizing class Information Session 2: Nov 10th 5-6PM Register for Zoom Here
- Spring 2022 Social Justice Organizing class, SSCI 320, Fridays 9-11:40am.
- April 4-8, 2022! Student-Led Social Justice Week Conference!
The goal of Social Justice Week is to provide a space for the Sonoma State student body and the community to contribute ideas, gain perspective, and understand current social issues. This is an annual event in its seventh year that is held each spring semester. In 2021 students hosted speakers who addressed the following topics:
- How the SSU Community Can Support Local Indigenous Social Justice Efforts
- Restorative Justice Circles in Prison, and How to Become a Restorative Justice Facilitator
- Organizing for Environmental Justice
- Actions You Can Take To Support The Movement To Cancel Student Debt
- Actions You Can Take For Food Justice
- How Students Can Get Involved In Lobbying & Policy Change
- How to Organize a Union
- How to Talk About Environmental Justice & Climate Change
- Supporting Disability Justice Organizing
- Indigeneity Beyond Borders
- How to Support Migration Through Public Art
- Organizing to Demand Better Race and Gender Policies from Educational Institutions
Students and the Community can find information on the Social Justice Week website.
Check out our Social Media sites and follow us: #SSUSocialJusticeWeek